Sunday, January 31, 2016

My Three Amigos

Who do you pray to when you pray?  Do you start your prayers Dear Jesus? Or Our Father? Or how bout, Dear Holy Spirit? 

Recently I was challenged by a friend to pray to different members of that trilogy according to my needs. I brushed off the advice at first thinking, if they are all one in the same what difference does it make?  This journey I am on completely unraveled that thinking.  While they are all three in one, they are very different in many ways. 

For me, I have found that when I need a friend... A brother... Someone to come alongside me, I pray to Jesus.  He is my homie.  He understands the world and people.  He understands the selfishness of my prayers and helps redirect my focus.  He displays himself in such loving, encouraging ways through his people to me. My Jesus.

When I need direction, guidance and protection, I call on the Father.  I do have the world's most amazing earthly father.  I call on my daddy for everything!  He is my best friend, but I also have complete respect for him as a disciplinarian and I always want him to be pleased with me. Even now that I am 50 years old. It is important that everything I do, would be something he would approve of.  And if there's something I am in question of, I ask him for direction and trust his answers without a single doubt. My Father. 

When I need comfort, courage, and supernatural strength, I summon the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit can fill a room with such light and energy that it moves the hardest of hearts.  It surrounds me with a force field no one or nothing can penetrate..  I have to invite Him though.  He doesn't force Himself into the situation.  But He ALWAYS comes when He hears the surrending cry of "Help Me". 

I must admit, since I have been praying individually to each one, my prayer life has enriched greatly.  Before I bow my head, I consider my purpose for prayer and appeal to the one I relate to most at that point.  I can promise you this, I fully trust them, and I do not want God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit to change their minds about the future.  I want them to change my heart to be in agreement.  That is my goal in prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment