Saturday, January 30, 2016

Why Bad Things Happen to Good People

I am very aware that walking this challenging journey with my family as my dad battles cancer had given me a pretty thin skin.  I am very sensitive to the words people say, as if I am deeply seeking wisdom, guidance or just a beacon to show us the way.  It's as if my listening ear had been turned up a few notches.

And when I hear something that doesn't agree with the truths I am holding dear each day, I find myself being very quick to defend those lifelines. In a loving way, of course. (I hope)

Recently someone said to me, that when something like this happens to a Godly man like my dad, it's hard not to question God.

Really?

Before I knew what I was doing, these words were coming out of my mouth... Are Christians the only ones who get cancer? I am pretty sure that Satanists and Atheists get cancer too.  Buddhists do too.  Can you think of any religion that is cancer free?  Trouble free?  Worry free?  In this world, we are promised that we will have trouble.

Actually Christians got the heads up from Jesus long ago, in John 16:33.  “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

We all have trouble.  The difference for Christians is that God can make some beautiful things form our troubles.  He can use it for his glory.   
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

I'm going to have trouble.  You're going to have trouble.  Everyone is going to have trouble.  We are all going to have sickness.  We are all going to die. It's meaningless to try to compare circumstances.  It says so in Ecclesiastes 8:14, "There is something else meaningless that occurs on earth: the righteous who get what the wicked deserve, and the wicked who get what the righteous deserve. This too, I say, is meaningless. 15 So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun.

So why do bad things happen to good people?  Because they happen to all people.  Heaven help us if even the best of us got what we truly deserved.  The good news is, you don't have to endure the bad things alone.  Lean on the one Who has overcome the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment